Search this site
Table of Contents
|Monroe Historical Society
Monroe, CT 06468
Monroe History Trivia Quiz
by Nancy Zorena
A small town, many of Monroe's residents have lived here the majority of their lives. They know its back roads and main streets like the palms of their hands, the best and worst places to eat, as well as the cute stores to shop, but how much do they really know? If you consider yourself a "Monroe buff," take this little trivia quiz about Monroe's past and see how you do. Answers are available here. Be on the lookout for another quiz next week! If you have any questions about Monroe's history that aren't answered here, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll research them, and publish our findings. Good Luck and see how you do!
Moved in the late 60's, where is the East Village Barn Hill Schoolhouse now located in Monroe?
- What is the name of the family who donated the land for Masuk High School in the 1950's?
- Name of the late Board of Ed. Member whose husband sold his home and property to the town for the food pantry and the new driveway?
- Which church building is the oldest in town?
- At the beginning of the Civil War many Monroe citizens were against the war. On August, 24, 1861 a peace rally was held here. P.T. Barnum and his friends came from Bridgeport to break it up. Where was the rally held?
- Name three buildings that were torn down to make way for the new town hall and library in 1972. (Hint: Painting of this subject is in the town hall )
- How old is Monroe Elementary School this year?
- What is the name of the family who built the large Victorian house on Elm Street from a Deluxe Sears House Kit?
- Who painted the painting of the old town hall, annex, and brick library that hangs in the town hall?
- What is the name of the book, available at the Monroe library, written by Edward Nichols Coffey, about the history of Monroe?
- Who was the first minister in Monroe (New Stratford) who served for 44 years?
- Name the French leader who brought his troops into town in June, 1781 during the Revolutionary War?
- About how many men from New Stratford (Monroe) joined the Stratford and Connecticut militia during the American Revolution?
- In 1789, the township of Huntington was incorporated. It comprised the parishes of Ripton and ____________________. Each retained their centers and individual parish authority.
- A great blizzard paralyzed the town in the 1800's. What was the exact year?
- The Monroe Historical Society was organized in what year?
- Who is the Town Historian?
- Who is the President of Save Our Stepney Task Force?
- What store presently occupies the space where Mary's and Faynor's used to be?
- Name the two historic districts in the town.
- Name the cemetery where there is an inscribed headstone with the following: "William, who was stabbed by his nearest neighbor - Sept. 30, 1845."
- In what year did Monroe become a town?
- What is the name of the "witch" of old Monroe who lived near Bug Hill and Cutler's Farm Roads in the 1800's?
- . Name the family who lived on Elm Street whose daughters Fannie and Jennie studied at Yale Art School in the late 1800's. (Bonus where did they live in town?)
- In 1952, what department in town was organized?
- In 1940, Ben Hurd opened this business on Moose Hill Road.
- Name the schools in the order they were built in town.